Sunday 30 August 2009

You hear the sound of your voice explaining what has happened, describing the events in painstaking chronological detail. The person listening wants you to jump to the end. In his tensed body you can hear the questions: so what happened? What is the point? But you need to lay it all out.......................................You need to hear your story out loud so that you can make sense of what has happened and what is going on now. You are like a spider, your words the filaments of sound, lines you are spinning to attach the web of your experience to a corner of the world. In this way you connect the thin gauze of this new incomprehensible event to the solid wall of what your life has been until now. In this way telling your story heals you. (Gill 1997, p24)

This is a quote I found in a book called Chronic Sorrow whilst doing my studying. I was blown away by the intensity ......

2 comments:

  1. That is so true, I know exactly what she means.
    How often do we cut our story short because the listener is getting impatient, bored or just losing interest.

    I know that spider...

    Love You xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all know "listeners" like that and I am sure I have been guilty of it before but think I will try even harder now; reminds me of the saying
    " never be the first to end a hug" Julie and I have a lot of fun with that... go on you end... no you end... I am not ending... nor me..... ha ha love you too
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete