Wednesday 16 June 2010

Inconceivable

My baby girl is 40 years old tomorrow.

So this time 40 years ago I was in hospital 9 days late for the birth of my first child. Phil was abroad in the RAF and I was more than a little scared. I was 21 yrs old.
Julie eventually arrived; she was intended to be Sara Jane but then there were so many Saras being born just then so Joanne Clare was an alternative and again the baby before mine was Clare so I remembered friends who had a girl and a boy called Julie and Gary
So when Phil got the telegram to say Julie Anne had arrived he was more than a little bemused!!
Way back then you stayed in hospital much longer following the birth -- 10 days in my case -- and learned how to cope a little bit before they sent you home. I was actually staying with my Mum and Dad whilst Phil was overseas so I had plenty of help (and advice which a new Mum does not always take to.)

All I wanted to do was just sit and stare at this amazingly beautiful creation.
Phil arrived home when Julie was 7 days old and when he came to visit it was love at first sight.
Now I would need to write a very long book to encompass the 40 years since. Those of you who know me will agree that it would consist of many many chapters.
The result is however a daughter who is my wonderful friend and who I adore.

I took her to London for her birthday treat but now I think I should have made a scrapbook or something as apart from a card I have nothing to give her tomorrow.

I could burst with pride when I am with her and am so glad that we have stayed close. Some people are not so fortunate. She lives about 150 yards away and although we can go days without seeing each other due to busy jobs we love to catch up and can talk all the hind legs off all the donkeys in all the fields.

We are meeting up on Friday for a pamper session.

In just over 3 years I will be writing a post about Gary my lovely son who is 37 in October. As different as chalk and cheese but just as loved and adored.

I have been up since 4am. The shows I recorded yesterday on SKY + failed again so I am not a happy bunny about that.

I have a lot on my mind just now and am just about managing to keep everything in separate boxes. It's just as well 40 years ago I did not know what the future would hold...................

2 comments:

  1. and they are the ones who are feeling old too! at least mine are, as their kids getting bigger and bigger. lol my oldest is 41, then 34, 30 and 25, all with kids or baby on the way! Is hard to believe though that so many years have gone by, I was only a kid when I had my first, 16! I have lived a few experiences since then to say the least! Happy Birthday to your baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donna family is so important and I wish I could just see them all every day. I have great grand daughters too and once my son starts to produce I will be complete..........

    ReplyDelete